Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Grandfather Mountain Musings


Since the summer of 2014 I have been exploring Grandfather Mountain.  It has affected me so that I can't quite get over it. I am grateful to be an artist as it requires me to stop and linger as I sketch and paint small studies.  I then reflect on all of the information gathered to synthesize it all into larger studio paintings.  What is to follow are a collection of images over the last 12 months along with a few comments.

"Cloud Rise Over Grandfather" 36x48 oil, studio work




Grandfather #2 (studio painting)
24 x 36 oil










"Grandfather #3 30x30 oil
A more intimate view near the visitor center
with the clouds skimming overhead 


6.5 x 8 oil


"Grandfather #4" 24 x 30 oil, studio work
This view is from Beacon Heights off the Blue Ridge Parkway








"Grandfather #5"
30x24 oil
Southwest face of Grandfather in April






8 x 10 oil








"Morning Moon Over Grandfather"
(Grandfather #6)
24x48 oil
This is a view from Rough Ridge overlook off the Blue Ridge Parkway

No comments:

Post a Comment